Tuesday, September 1, 2009

[7]
August 20, 2009
I finally have to leave the stream and climb high above the to access the trail that follows granite ledges found only by the rock carns that have been placed to show the traveler where to go. I am suddenly at and above the lake and this is the rewarded view of all the mornings hard work.
I am surprised to find a lone fisherman and his black Husky across the lake. He is well into his 70's and is busy with a fly pole plying the lakes surface for trout. I watch him latch onto a pretty nice sized fish he has hooked and expertly bringing it to shore he slowly making his way down to the waters edge, reaches down and gently releases it.
It is very early in the morning and I venture to guess he has backpacked into here and has set up a camp across the lake above where we are as that is about the only place to do so. He would have had to cross the log jam at the outlet of the lake to get to where he is. I'm sure that is exactly what he has done.
I follow the rock shelf I am on to the lake edge and away from this fellow so as not to disturb his solitude. I sit and watch the view refreshing myself from my waterbottle and eat dried blueberries and crackers. No wind and just a stray cloud now and then makes it a perfect morning. Fish are feeding across the lake and it is fun to climb back up after awhile and watch this gentleman across from me working the lake with his fly pole. He definitely knows what he is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment